Moore & Ayres Mag. Bot. ii. t. 5. (1850)
AMARYLLIS ACRAMANII PULCHERRIMA
DESCRIPTION.—Leaves bright green, broad, tapering to an obtuse summit. Scape two or more-flowered, glaucous. Flowers large and spreading; segments of the perianth broad, ovate, acuminate, somewhat undulate, green at the base, with a stripe of green extending some distance up the middle of the disk of each lobe, the rest of the limb deep scarlet-erimson, (blood-colour,) deeper in the middle, and with indistinct deeper veins and blotches forming a kind of reticulation. The stamens decimate, green below, red above, the pollen yellow. The style which takes the direction of the stamens is likewise green below and red above, with the inner surfaces of the three-parted stigma white.
History.—This plant, which was shown at the Horticultural Society's Exhibition in May 1850, under the above name, is stated to be a hybrid between A. aulica and A. Johnsoni, the latter of which is regarded as a hybrid form. It appears to take its colour from the former, and the stripings from the latter, and is a remarkably rich-looking flower, from its full colour and the breadth of the segments of the perianth. The present name is hardly a convenient one, since the name of A. Acramanii was previously given to a hybrid between A. aulica platypetala and A. psittacina, by the raisers of both plants, Messrs. James Garraway and Co., of Bristol; the present having been called A. Acramanii pulcherrima merely on account of the resemblance in form, and size of the flowers, to the original A. Acramanii.
Our figure of this fine bulb was taken from the plant already alluded to as having been exhibited by the raisers, Messrs. Garraway, Mayes, &. Co., nurserymen, of Bristol.—A. H.